Hair Transplant Surgery in Brisbane
Hair transplantation surgery is a leading technique for the restoration of both scalp and eyebrow hair, and has become increasingly popular amongst both men and women looking to retain the hair density or to improve a receding hairline.
There are two commonly performed procedures, which are Follicular Unit Transplantation and Follicular Unit Extraction. Our surgeon will discuss which option would be best for you as an individual, as well as the cost and results to expect from the surgery. Please contact our clinic for further information.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
This technique involves the removal of a donor strip of skin located at the back and sides of the scalp. The surgery is performed under local anaesthetic, as it makes this procedure more comfortable for patients. In order to have maximum control on the number of the hair follicles required and to also reduce stress to the obtained tissue already dissected, we remove donor strips in multiple steps throughout the process of transplantation. The amount of material required depends entirely factors including the degree of hair loss, density and the elasticity of the donor site.
The number of grafts that are needed does vary from one person to another, and also down to the patient’s preferred outcome and aesthetic factors, all of which will also influence the cost of the surgery. The FUT surgical procedure is recommended for larger balding areas.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
This method is similar to the FUT surgical procedure, with the main difference being the follicular grafts are extracted directly from the donor site, rather than a strip of skin being removed. This technique utilises a specialist instrument (Punch Biopsy Blade), which separates follicles from the surrounding tissue with a small circular incision, which is then extracted from the scalp. This process is repeated until enough follicular units have been harvested for the planned hair transplantation surgery. These small incisions heal within a 7-10 day period and leave tiny white scars buried in the hair of the back and side of the scalp.
Hair Transplant Brisbane - After Care
- During the first 24 hours, moisten the transplanted area every 2 to 3 hours with physiological saline solution
- Avoid rubbing/touching the transplanted area
- If a graft is accidentally pulled out and the incision bleeds, apply continuous pressure with a gauze pad for 10 minutes
- Do not engage in strenuous physical exercise for 5 days after surgery
- Shampoo gently every day, and do not rub the scalp for the first 4 days
- The small scabs that form around the grafts will start to fall off by the end of the first week
- New hair will start to grow after 3 to 4 months
- The results will become more noticeable after 8 to 12 months-
For more information about FUE or FUT surgical hair transplants in Brisbane, please don’t hesitate to contact our clinic to arrange a consultation with our surgeon. We can discuss your needs, the costs involved and the results that are achievable.